Click on this link to open the detailed exhibition of the Bonhoeffer-House.
The Bonhoeffer House was built in 1935 as the retirement home of Professor Dr. med. Karl Bonhoeffer and his wife Paula, Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s parents. Whenever Dietrich Bonhoeffer was in Berlin, he lived here. Parts of his book Ethics were written here, as was his analysis of the resistance „After Ten Years“, the manuscript of which survived the war hidden in the house. Dietrich Bonhoeffer was arrested in this building on April 5, 1943.
Conspiratorial discussions about the resistance movement against the National Socialists also took place here, with the decisive participation of family members. In the end, the sons Klaus (lawyer) and Dietrich as well as the sons-in-law Hans von Dohnanyi (lawyer) and Rüdiger Schleicher (also a lawyer) were murdered by the National Socialists in April 1945.
Today there is a permanent exhibition in the conference room of the house with 9 panels on the life and work of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. And the Gutzeit grand piano from the neighboring house of the Schleicher family, on which Dietrich played, can now be heard in this room.
Bonhoeffer’s study on the upper floor has been restored as far as possible to the original state in which he left it in April 1943. This room contains his desk, his clavichord and his bookshelf with copies of books he owned. Bonhoeffer’s manuscripts and books are kept in the State Library in Berlin.